Rainy Day Activities for Toddler
Here comes the rain! It’s raining, it’s pouring, the kids are definitely not snorrrringggg – what to do? This little list of rainy day parenting tips ought to help you through the wet weather.
- Bake – bake freezable healthy treats such as muffins, slices, and snack bars. Children love to help measure and pour, and especially lick the beaters. PLUS the oven warms up the house!
- Make a puppet theater from a big cardboard carton, and hand puppets from socks and odds and ends. Sell “tickets” and host a show
- Paper Mache Bowls – make a paper Mache paste, from flour and water, and drape strips of paper over balloons. Let them set for 24 hours, and decorate. They make good fun bowls for playing.
- Plaster Boots – Messy, but creative… get your hands on some plaster bandages, and cover an old boot – decorate. It makes a fabulous door stop.
- Paint a glass door, it wipes straight off. (Use water based poster paints of course)
- Give in, get wet, put on the gumboots and go jump in puddles!
- Make warm cocoa with marshmallows!
- Make a family book, using a scrapbook and family photos
- Get your children to organize your photo albums
- Make a cubby house
- Involve them in writing your meal plan
The house gets so much messier when everyone’s inside, but the best parenting tip I’ve been given, is simply to surrender to it, and clean up afterwards. It reduces the stress, plus you can tell just by looking that they’ve had fun!